Friday, May 6, 2011

Lentil-Bulgur Stuffed Peppers

I made this awhile ago.  I think I remember it being a little bland, and I believe I scaled up the quantities of seasonings a bit when I wrote down the recipe.  

Simmer the following for about half an hour or until tender:
  • 3/4 cup lentils (I used French lentils - smaller in size, dark brown with bluish flecks
  • 3/4 cup bulgur
  • 3 1/2 to 4 cups vegetable broth

Meanwhile, sautee in olive oil in a medium skillet:
  • 1 large onion, chopped pretty small
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic

When they're mostly cooked, add: 
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 2 t brown sugar
  • salt and red pepper, to taste

Let the sauce simmer and cut 4-6 bell peppers in half (any color works great - green is least expensive, but red, yellow, and orange are prettier, tastier, and possibly even more nutrient-rich), removing the stems and seeds. 

Combine cooked lentils/bulgur with tomato sauce in a large mixing bowl and add:

  • A little less than 8 oz Parmesan cheese - use the rest to sprinkle on the top at the end
  • 1 T onion powder
  • A slosh of Tabasco or other hot sauce
  • Another clove of crushed garlic
  • 2 t Worcestershire sauce (not technically vegetarian, here's a recipe for a veg alternative* that I've never tried)

Taste it and add any of the following if you think it needs it:
  • red pepper flakes
  • salt
  • onion or garlic powder
  • more Worcestershire sauce

Finally, add 1 egg to the mixture, spoon into the pepper halves, sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese, place in a shallow pan with ~1 cm of water and bake for about an hour at 350 degrees.

*Although apparently had I simply googled "vegetarian Worcestershire sauce" and I would have found this, which I'll have to prepare to have on hand next time, though I don't use Worcestershire sauce too too much... I have no idea how long that homemade stuff would last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment